Wednesday, May 16, 2007

First reviews from our readers

Anonymous said...

medley? what medley? it's just a group of songs that follow one another without a pause in-between them. they don't interact or refer to each other in any way. it is as much a 'medley' as pepper was a 'concept' album.

and the last song (nod yer head) totally ruins what would have been the perfect album closer, totally breaking the mood. if ever a song was meant as a b side or bonus track, nod yer head is it.

but, having said that, great vocals (lots of studio effects, compression, etc masking the limitations of his aging voice), lovely strings and wonderful basslines...nothing special that jumps out at you, but other than nod yer head, not a 'bad' song on it!

May 16, 2007 8:41 AM
Delete
Anonymous said...

OK, Here's my review, a little about me first to let you know where I'm coming from: I'm 45 years old, I have all of Paul's official cds and b-sides and most of the non released stuff. I consider myself to be a huge fan but also very critical on some of his material. I liked Chaos & Creation but I'm sorry it was so just too darn slow for me. My favorites on that album were "Riding to Vanity Fair and Promise to you girl and several of the b-sides like Power of Love and I want you to fly. I always tend to like the more obscure tracks on his cds. I've heard many reviews saying that this cd sounds like the Beatles, certain wings albums, etc. No no no, this is a solo Paul McCartney record that sounds like the natural follow up to Driving Rain with a little of Chaos thrown in but so much better, there is so much more to listen to, many different sounds. Don't be thinking that this is Ram part two or something like that. His different singing styles throughout the cd are amazing. A lot of the songs are short which is Ok but on a few of them, I wish they would play out for a bit longer because they are so good. One of his best albums! Also, don't expect any five song medley like you have been hearing about on the internet. These do not flow together like Abbey Road or Red Rose Speedway. I can't wait to buy the deluxe version with the 3 extra songs.


Dance Tonight"I won't spend much time on it since there is so much already written about it but this should not have been the single in the UK, very simple song but would be better placed as the 2nd song on the album. 5/10

"Ever Present Past" Most people have already heard this one, perfect first single, should of opened up the album. 6/10

"See Your Sunshine" Very cheerful, upbeat song, reminds me of the extra songs from "Off the Ground"
(The Complete Works), great backing vocals similar to songs from Chaos. 7/10

"Only Mama Knows" Great song, this really rocks, excellent beat and very fast, a few "small" parts did sound like "Soily" but you can actually understand the lyrics in this song, 2nd best song on the album, As mentioned in other reviews, it starts off and ends with strings which just make
it that much interesting. God I hope he plays this live! 9/10

"You Tell Me" A slower song but some very nice guitar work. Very interesting voice from paul,
not sure if I've ever heard it before, maybe a little like "Growing up, Falling down"
but still different. This could of been off Chaos but a little darker. 7/10

"Mister Bellamy" I was kind of disappointed in this because of all the press it has gotten,
I guess I was expecting more, it's still a great song but I think its too short, I really like the way it jumps around. At least 3 different voices Paul throws at you. The last 45 seconds (mostly instumental) sounds like a totally different song . 8/10

"Gratitude" Not my favorite, I just do not like the backing vocals after he sings "Gratiude" over and over and over but the song does gets better towards the middle. It might grow on me. 4/10

"Vintage Clothes" Nice song, background vocals in some parts sound like they are from Chaos & Creation. Great vocals but way too short of a song. More typical McCArtney than others but still
lots of different sounds/talking in the background. Maybe sounds like early 80's in some parts to me. 7/10

"That Was Me" It does kind of remind you of "Summer of 59" (which I don't like) when the song starts but then it rocks much harder, especialy at the end where Paul screams out the lyrics.
The lyrics are a look back at Paul in the early days of the Bealtes. You will love it! 8/10

"Feet In The Clouds" A Very cheerful and happy song, starts off with acoustic guitr and then picks up a little when the drums kick in about a minute or so into the song, very typical McCartney song until the a capella harmonies come in later which are very different and quirky. Great vocals towards the end 7/10

"House Of Wax" Well, here we go, I hate to write this because I don't want people to be disappointed
like I was with Mr. Bellamy but I think this is one of the best produced songs Paul has ever done. I had chills listening to it, very haunting. It starts of with the
piano and then Paul starts singing with echo effects, I read that it was like "Riding to Vanity Fair" but darker, that's probably the best comparison but not really because it sounds like nothing you have ever heard from him before so don't get that in your head before you hear it. You will want to listen to this song again and again! It has two parts where the guitars and band really kick in, unbelievable! 10/10. It Rocks and at the same time sounds very modern. Someone also mentioned that the lyrics are simple like "Beware my love"? I find them to be very interesting (here's a sample):

"Lightning hits the house of wax
Poets spill out on the street
To set alight the incomplete
Remainders of the future".

"End of the End" Piano based ballad, a very sad song when I listen to it, I know it's suppose to be kind of chearful in that "when I die, don't be sad" but it still makes me sad when I hear it, this will get most of the press. 7/10

"Nod Your Head" It does remind you of "I've Only Got Two Hands" from Chaos but only in the beginning
because it really rocks after that, not the greatest lyrics on the album but it's just plain fun to listen to. It's a short rocker with great screaming vocals again.
I know others disagree but I think it's perfect for the closer 7/10

May 16, 2007 5:29 PM

No comments: